Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Amid Sunflowers

This is a WIP that has come to a standstill. I'm working on trying to create faster with colored pencils. I am also working on using split complementary colors and complements to create shadows and chromatic black instead of using the out-of-the-box black pencil. To go totally overboard with new things, I am also trying a different brand of pencils other than my trusty Prismas. I don't know if the paper doesn't have enough tooth for the many layers I seem to need to achieve the darks I am after, if I am applying too much pressure, if it's the difference in the pencils, or a combination of all of these but I'm just not too happy with this particular drawing at this point. I think I'm going to just set it aside for a bit and practice some techniques before I pick it back up...if I do.

I also used crosshatching for the background on this piece, what little there is completed, which is another first for me. The crosshaching was done as both an attempt to cut down on production time and to loosen up a little and see if I felt comfortable with the results. The verdict is still out on the crosshatching, because I'll have to work with it on more than one piece before I can really say it fits my style.

Amid Sunflowers
Approximately 8.5 X 9
Colored Pencil on Canson Sketch Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment