Friday, May 29, 2009

Apple: Colored Pencil Study

This is an apple drawing from the pages of my sketchbook, but I would consider it more a color study than a sketch, due to the greater detail involved. Hey! I think I'll Google the difference between these terms that are often used in the art world to see how they differ...I'll be right back, but before I go, I want to explain what I think the basic difference is.
I consider a sketch as a quick, loosely-drawn rendition of a subject to capture the general shape, feature placement, proportion, and/or movement.

I always think of a study as a quick drawing with elements similar to a sketch in that it's a rough draft. However, a study differs from a sketch, in my mind, because it involves a bit more time and detail for a specific focus area, or areas, that an artist feels the need to "study" in order to improve his or her knowledge or technique. (e.g. the various colors used, how the colors work together, the proportion, minute details that add character to the subject, composition, etc.) Writing detailed notes about these observations, I also relate more with a study than a sketch; although a sketch can have notes and notes are not a necessary component of a study. I know, I overthink everything...I had someone tell me once that I got too caught up in minor details.

What do you think the difference is between the two terms?

Most of my sketches end up somewhere in the middle of a sketch and a study, as defined by the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary. Should I call these "skudies" or "stetches?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment